Designed for the AP Language and Composition exam, use these argument writing strategies to teach your student writers how experienced writers think and plan before they begin to write. If you've ever wondered how to move your students past the formulaic, five-paragraph essay, these strategies and collaborative activities will teach your students how to plan a more advanced essay. Instruct students how to create a cohesive line of reasoning, so they will always be ready to develop a solid argument no matter the prompt.
Use the suggested pacing guide to use all the included materials over the course of one week. Graphic organizers (for student and teacher), teacher tips, and the template for planning an argument essay will assist in your direct instruction of the pre-writing strategies. One independent activity and three collaborative activities move the planning process from isolation to conversation. Each activity includes a warmup, cards, detailed student instructions, specific teacher notes, student reflection questions, and teacher reflective wrap-up for the end of class. Use any of the 36 quickfire prompts for any activity, and use the prompt template to make your own if you like!
This resource includes
- 6-Day Suggested Pacing Guide
- Teacher's Tips for Direct Instruction of Thinking Strategies and Ways to Explain Line of Reasoning
- Graphic Organizers (for students and teacher)
- Template for Planning an Argument Essay (with teacher tips)
- Four Activities (each includes warmup, cards, detailed student instructions, detailed teacher notes, student reflection questions, and teacher reflective wrap-up for the end of class)
- 36 Quickfire Prompts and Template to Create Your Own Prompts
These 33 full-color (and 30 black-and-white) pages are jam-packed with strategies and activities that are easy to teach and valuable for students as they learn to move past the five-paragraph essay.
Follow me on TpT to learn when more resources become available and special sales.
Be sure to leave a review to earn TpT credits, which may be applied to your future purchases!